What to Do After a Cape Coral Slip and Fall Accident
We invite you to contact Wolfson & Leon today if you were seriously hurt in a Cape Coral slip and fall accident. Call today for your free consultation at 239-471-0714.
Whether running errands at your local Cape Cora grocery store or browsing the aisles at your local mall, no one expects to be hurt as they go about their day. Sadly, many people are seriously injured every year due to slip and fall accidents. Across the nation, slip and fall injuries account for over one million visits to the emergency room every year.
A Cape Coral slip-and-fall accident may cause severe bodily damage, such as broken bones or traumatic brain injuries. If you suffered severe damage from a slip and fall, you should speak with a Cape Coral slip and fall accident lawyer. Depending on the circumstances around the slip and fall, you might be able to recover damages from the property owner or manager.
Getting hurt in a slip-and-fall accident may leave you scratching your head, wondering what to do. After seeking medical help, the most critical step you can take is to find out what legal rights you have after a serious slip and fall accident.
Since 1963, the Law Offices of Wolfson & Leon have defended people seriously injured in slips and falls, automobile crashes, and other accidents. We help our clients build a defensible case and work diligently to secure the best settlement possible.What is a Slip and Fall Claim?
You might have a claim if you slip and fall when on someone else's property. Business owners and managers have a duty to use reasonable care when maintaining their establishments. When owners or managers neglect this responsibility and cause injury to someone else, they could be liable for the accident.
Some of the most common Cape Coral slip and fall accidents are caused by:
- Spilled drinks
- Leaking soda fountains or coffee pots
- Broken bottles that leak liquid onto the floor
- Dropped produce that is stepped on can leave a clear, slippery residue if not cleaned up promptly
- Overflowing or leaking sinks or toilets that leave water on the floor
- Store refrigerators or freezers that leak water or leave condensation on floors
- Dropped produce can leave a clear, slippery residue if not cleaned up promptly
- Tile or laminate floors with sawdust or other particles may be slick when stepped on
- Broken or improperly laid floor tiles
- Old or fraying rugs on stairs may be slippery when stepped on
- Missing or broken handrails in stairwells
- Area rugs that lack the proper padding underneath to prevent slipping when stepped on
- Changes in flooring
- Parking lot paint without the proper adhesive materials may become slick when it rains outside.
- Sidewalks with wet leaves, papers, or other debris may become slippery when stepped on
- Poor lighting in parking lots, sidewalks, or stairwells
The steps you take after a severe slip and fall accident are critical. When seriously hurt in a Cape Coral slip and fall, you should go directly to a nearby emergency room or seek immediate medical care.
Even if you feel fine after a Cape Coral slip and fall, you should still be examined by a medical professional as soon as possible. If you sustained injuries in the fall, you could worsen the damage if you wait too long to get checked out.
If you pursue legal action against the business owner or manager, a delayed doctor's visit could be interpreted as your injuries aren’t so bad.
When involved in a Cape Coral slip and fall, you can take the following steps to help preserve the scene and document what happened.
- Promptly report the accident to the business owner or manager. You should ask for a copy of the report completed to document that you reported the accident and your injuries. If you are asked questions, be mindful of your responses. A severe slip and fall accident can leave you disoriented and in pain, so you should speak with a Cape Coral accident attorney before answering questions.
- Get the names and phone numbers of any employees you spoke with or anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Use your phone to take pictures and videos of where the accident occurred. Be sure you document anything that caused the accident and your injuries. Getting multiple photos or videos from different angles and distances from the accident scene is also helpful.
- Write down whatever you can remember from the accident, such as what you were doing, who you were with, and what caused you to slip and fall if known. As time passes, you may not remember this as clearly as when the accident happened.
Cape Coral property owners and managers maintain a safe property. Even if you were hurt at a business, it does not necessarily mean you will receive compensation. To pursue damages for a Cape Coral slip and fall, you must prove the following:
- The property owner or operator owes you a level of care based on your purpose for being there.
- The owner or manager breached this duty of care.
- Neglecting to uphold the appropriate standard of care resulted in injury.
- Your injuries resulted in financial damage.
You may be contacted by the company's lawyers or insurance agent with an early financial settlement offer if you were badly hurt at a grocery store, convenience store, gas station, or any other business establishment. When accident victims are hit with high medical costs and cannot pay their household bills because their injuries prevent them from working a fast settlement may seem like a promising idea.
Accept a settlement offer before knowing your compensation rights; you may get far less than you need. If the damage caused by the slip and fall accident is more extensive than initially expected, you might need more money for your medical care and lost income. However, once you accept a settlement offer, you likely won’t be able to get more compensation.
Seeking assistance from a best Cape Coral accident lawyer helps you understand your rights in a slip and fall accident. At Wolfson & Leon, we help our clients recover financial compensation to pay for their medical treatment and care and replace lost income. Sometimes, you might be compensated for the pain and suffering from the accident.
If you want to find out if you have a case or have questions, we encourage you to contact Wolfson & Leon today at 239-471-0714.